Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Bible's version of child rearing:

Pro 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go, And even when he is old he will not depart from it.

Pro 22:15 Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; But the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

Pro 13:24 He that spareth his rod hateth his son; But he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Pro 23:13 Withhold not correction from the child; For if thou beat him with the rod, he will not die.

Pro 23:14 Thou shalt beat him with the rod, And shalt deliver his soul from Sheol.

Pro 29:15 The rod and reproof give wisdom; But a child left to himself causeth shame to his mother.

Pro 12:1 Whoso loveth correction loveth knowledge; But he that hateth reproof is brutish.

Pro 15:5 A fool despiseth his father's correction; But he that regardeth reproof getteth prudence.

Pro 15:32 He that refuseth correction despiseth his own soul; But he that hearkeneth to reproof getteth understanding.

The world's version of child rearing:

"Your hands are not for hitting. Say you're sorry." (Missing: The reason why hands are not for hitting and what sorry actually means.)

"That's not nice to take his toy. You need to ask for your turn..." (WHY is it not nice?)

The art of diversion: "No that's not nice to do that. Here, take this instead." (And that accomplishes what?)

Persuasion: "You can't have his lollipop. Go to mommy and say "Mommy, I need a lollipop." (NO COMMENT)

"Don't jump off the pool!"
"Leave me alone!"
"That's not very nice."
*Jumps off pool*

=================================

Pro 3:12 For whom Jehovah loveth he reproveth; Even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.
=================================

At the Orchard School, even the owner's kids are obnoxious. The parents' packet advertises "Positive Discipline" and how well it works. Take a look at the owner's three kids -- it's not working.

James' dad: Put on your shorts. It's time to go.
*James' dad goes outside for a second*
*James drops the shorts and goes over to the toys*
*James' dad comes back in*
James: "You didn't see me playing with that toy."
James' dad: Just put on your shorts.

OR

Kelsey's dad: Don't take the bucket from Bedros!
*Kelsey keeps pulling at the bucket*
Kelsey's dad: Play with that other bucket. It's even bigger!
*Kelsey starts crying and throws the bigger bucket and keeps crying*
*Dad ignores and walks away*

All the same, they don't fight as much as those innercity Philly kids.

I'm definitely beginning to like 1st and 2nd grade a lot more than I thought I would. I thought kinder-2nd grade kids were kinda dumb and teaching would be boring. Some of them are really cute! I get along with older kids, but I don't think they'd respect me as a teacher yet. (Then again, PJ doesn't respect anyone and thinks he's the boss of all the kids just because he's TEN.) I've changed diapers and worked on potty training the kids. 'Tis interesting.

Oh yeah, one of the twins was going out the gate around the pool and I told her to go back inside. She's very quiet, but she gave me a look out of her eye that was in total rebellion. I thought about throwing her in the pool to teach her a lesson, but I'm more mature than that. (I'm kidding -- I didn't think that. I actually thought that her eyes were fascinating in spite of the rebellion behind them.) HAHA! I actually realized yesterday that the twins weren't as quiet as they looked. They were putting up a fuss for their mother yesterday. A lot of the kids get even worse when their parents show up.

The South Beach Diet... well, I've taken on a cheat every other day diet. I kept it faithfully yesterday and today... until dinnertime. HAHA!!! Oh well.

Back to day care: On Thursday, the older kids have half day since it's the last day of school. The afternoons will be very busy then. Now, I go in and don't do much until around 3 when the kids start waking up. Instead I talk to Shashi and learn more about Indian culture. =)

Essex County College news: I registered for my summer class and payed online, but it didn't seem to clear from my account. The deadline is July 5, so I called the bursar's office. They said it was in the records, so I checked my account again and saw it there. The thing was, though, that it also had refunded and therefore I actually didn't get anything taken out. So I called again and talked to this other guy who told me that something when wrong that day and everybody was charged twice, so they refunded me once. Tonight I went back to balance it with my written log and it didn't total right -- I had only been charged once AND refunded once which means I didn't pay after all. So I have to call tomorrow. How dumb is that! Stupid online payment.

CJ came last night. He was here for dinner and then we went to WalMart. He hit the sack at 9:30 and was off again at around 6:30. He went to bed early again tonight.

The water heater broke and flooded the basement. We didn't have gas and water for a while. John came over and installed the new water heater. I went down and bothered him for a while. (Actually I went down and bothered him the night before when he was in his workshed.) He misses me. HAHA!!!

No comments: